Friday, March 30, 2007

Stop Cyberbullying Day - March 30th, 2007

Hello everyone,

Like so many others in the blogosphere, I was horrified to learn, earlier this week, of the horrendous online abuse and bullying experienced by a well-respected woman blogger (she has asked that we not link to her blog anymore, for now, nor mention her name, so I won't). There are no words big enough to describe how inacceptable the actions that were done to her are, nor do I feel able to talk about the nauseous feelings I got when I read about her experiences.

She was abused online, and the abuse is real - as real as if the abusers-s had been in her physical presence. The sense of violation, of fear, of rage - these are real. Don't anyone tell me that what happens online is just "virtual", because it IS real, not imagined, not simulated: real life, just taking place in cyberspace rather than in physical space.

Very soon after the news broke, I was happy to see another well-respected blogger, Andy Carvin, take a stand, show his support and solidarity, and formally ask all of us to do the same. Andy suggested that we all blog about cyberbullying, today, Friday, March 30th, 2007. The idea has taken off in the blogosphere and I want to be part of it. I need to be part of it. Online bullying has to stop. Lawmakers have to begin applying laws which are valid in physical life, to online life (I was happy to learn that the police are involved in the case I mention above).

More importantly, ordinary citizens have to take it seriously when such abuse occurs online. Because it does, often, and very often from what I can see: to women. I am getting fed up with these boys - because I cannot call them men - who get their kicks out of showering abuse and even death threats, on women who are visible in some way: either through political activity, defending women's rights, expressing their points of view online, etc. I have been working on the rise of anti-feminism here in Québec for a few years now, and it is enraging, the harassment and bullying that goes on. And it goes on in silence, the public is not aware enough of what is happening, the mainstream media do not seem to care.

Women and men who believe in equal rights and social justice, not only can we speak out, but speak out we must. We have to share together - share information on what is going on, share about our experiences, share our resources and strengths to counter this abuse. I will not cower in my corner and stay silent. The situation this week has been a clear example of why we need to act together, to end cyberbullying just as much as any other form of abuse, against women and against the safety and dignity of all human beings, in general.

In solidarity,

-- FeminisTIC

technorati tags:

No comments: